This year we were in Mexico until the beginning of December so as soon as we got home it was full on Christmas season! I know I say it every single year, but this year was my absolute FAVOURITE.
The first thing we did was check out Birchwood Meadows. It was freezing and snowing but we had a great time. We roasted marshmallows at the bonfire, snuggled kitties and made the girls fresh Christmas arrangements for their rooms. Lola even treated them to adorable new unicorn ornaments!
Brynlee had Christmas break from Dec. 20 – Jan. 6th and enjoyed slow cozy days spent taking it easy. This mama enjoyed not having to head to drop-off & pick-up and marked the last one of the decade with a celebratory photo. We also got to experience our first school Christmas concert – Brynlee’s class sang 5 Little Elves while her dance class performed to Let it Snow.
Craig & I celebrated our FIFTH wedding anniversary. In addition to dinner, we booked a relaxing getaway to the Nordic Spa.
We saved going to see Santa until December 24th since we got back from Mexico so late. The girls did amazing considering Jess wanted NOTHING to do with the big man in red last year.
This November we took a family trip to Mexico. It was a little earlier than usual but we were sick of the cold and excited to get away. It was the SMOOTHEST flight with two kids that we’d ever had. We lucked out and ended up with 6 seats between the 4 of us. The girls kept themselves busy and Jessie decided to have a snoozie during the descent. But overall, huge win.
One of my favourite parts of this trip was seeing Jess & Craig simultaneously sprout beads of sweat on their noses in the heat. A lot of people say that Brynlee is Craig’s mini and that Jess looks like me. But this is one distinct trait that the two of them share. That, and their love for bubblegum ice cream!
We did a lot of what we usually do down in Mexico: swim in the pool; play in the ocean; build sand castles; release baby turtles… & this time Jessie and I joined in on a dolphin excursion! I can’t believe that in my 30 years I had never swam with dolphins before. One of the trainers came up afterwards and told us how impressed she was with Jessie. She said that kids her age just usually cry the whole time. Not the case. It appears we now have two dolphin enthusiasts! The dolphins we swam with were named Lalo & Dolly.
A few cute notes I jotted down about Jessie on the trip…
⁃ Wore shoes with socks the vast majority of the trip because her sandals gave her ‘busters’
⁃ Sweatiest monster. Would turn red as a tomato and had beads of sweat on her tiny button nose whenever she got too hot
⁃ Wandered into our room fairly consistently at night. We would wake up to see her starfished in our bed with a pillow across her forehead while open mouth breathing
⁃ Took her job of pressing the outside alligator button VERY seriously (it was B’s job to press the buttons on the inside of the elevator)
⁃ Insisted on giving the man who played the guitar at our favourite restaurant 200 pesos on our last night after dinner
⁃ Was obsessed with dancing. Insisted on dancing in the middle of the Bucerias square during Saturday techno night [complete with DJ]. Her ‘dancing’ consisted of jumping up and down on her heavy flat feet
⁃ Loved to dance naked in the condo & shake her hips while cooling herself off in front of the fan
⁃ Said ‘Daddy! He gave me a blankie’ after the waiter took a folder napkin from her plate and placed it on her lap at dinner one night
⁃ Requested to pet every single dog we saw on the street
As per November 11, 2019
Height: 36.5 in Weight: 33.2 lbs Shoe size: 7 Clothing size: 2/3T
- Says “Wookit” & “Bwinwee” because she cannot pronounce her l’s
- Calls me mama & is attached like velcro
- Copies everything Brynlee says & does
- Walks around saying she has ‘a midget’ (aka message)
- Still down with that nap life
- 50/50 shot of getting her shoes on the right feet
- Loves walking her big sis to school
- Her robot voice is terribly good & accurate
- Wants to be a horsie when she grows up
- Fav colour: pink (like her big sis)
- Fav toy: Scruffles
- Fav game: ‘games’
- Fav food: pancakes (but will eat practically anything)
- Has finally grown tolerant of going through the car wash
- Loves to be naked & all that entails
- Always down for a bubble bath
- Requests ‘Story of my Life’ before bed at night
- Leads with her gut and has the HEAVIEST footsteps
- Will jump down an entire flight of stairs if you happen to be holding her hand
- Drapes a blanket on her head and pretends to be a ghost
- Jumps off the end of our bed & plugs her nose?
- Loves to sit with her head in her hands
- Has a special spot for Daddy & loves to wrestle with him
- Is utterly hilarious and sweet
This year, my very talented friend Jen of Jen Fletcher Photo took our fall family photos! She actually took them last year as well but has since started her own business. You can most certainly find her on instagram @jenfletcherphoto if you would like the view more of her beautiful work!
Additionally, the wonderful Brittany of @frenchies.hair and Kerris of @veilbeautyco provided hair & makeup respectively to make this tired mama feel like a rock star. If you have not checked out the spa-like oasis of Frenchies, it is a MUST.
Finally, to see our family photos from last year, please click here! It is crazy to me how much the girls have grown.
This year Brynlee started the PEP program at a wonderful school in our neighbourhood. It is walking distance from our house and we could not be more happy about that! She in a class with her best friend Charlie and loves to chew a piece of gum on the walk to school each day. Life is good for this beautiful, smart, funny, energetic 4 year old!
Height: 43 ¾ in Weight: 43.8 lbs Shoe size: 10.5 Clothing size: XS
Favourites as per September 18.
Book: National Geographic Kids Little Kids First Big Book of Pets
Song: One Hand Up – The Strumbellas
Food: Cheesy Bowties from East Side Marios
Treat: Drumsticks [carmel not fudge]
Thing to do: play with barbies & horses
Animal: bunny rabbits and horses
Place to go: the zoo
Thing to wear: ‘my purple skirt with my unicorn shirt and the shoes that almost look like high heels’
Colour: light pink
When I grow up I want to be an equine vet!
Height: 36 in Weight: 30.5 lbs Shoe size: 6 Clothing size: 2/3T
This girl is changing SO much these days that Craig and I knew we needed to jot some stuff down. So here it goes…
- Calls Taylor Swift “Tire Sweats”
- Her demeanour & how she says things is either very sassy or extremely sweet
- She is soooooo affectionate. She gives the best squeezey hugs and wet open mouthed kisses that last for several seconds
- She is very emotional. Which worries us for the future
- Would prefer to be naked 100% of the time
- Thinks the world of her big sis and loves to echo her thoughts
- Has gone from requesting “Tinkle Tinkle” every night to now adding in One Direction and Tire Sweats songs to her night time repertoire
- Still napping 1-2 hours per day. Which we plan to hold on to for as long as possible
- Still sleeping in a crib cause she cray cray but has never attempted an escape
- Super gentle with animals
- Shrugs her shoulders when she’s excited
- Becomes velcro when mama works a bunch
- Takes a decent amount of time to warm up in social situations
- Tends to gallop to where ever she’s headed
- Thinks Daddy is an indestructible jungle gym
- World’s best 2 year old sharer
- Will occasionally be resistant to letting us do her hair. So she ends up looking like a 12 year old emo kid
- Surprises us every single day with the words she uses and the sentences & questions she strings together
- Is straight up hilarious. We couldn’t love her more
As per July 2019